Knockout game leads to hate crime charge.
Knockout, a vicious game that is becoming more heard of nationwide for its vicious premise, has finally made media coverage for its unsurprising consequences that can occur from partaking in the heartless activity. One particular knockout game has now charged the perpetrator. On Thursday, a white Houston-area man was arrested on federal hate crime charges after allegedly shooting a video of himself sucker-punching a 79-year-old black man in a “knockout game” attack.
According to prosecutors, the attack happened on Nov. 24 in Katy, a suburban town outside of Houston, TX, but it was not until 12 days after the attack took place that authorities were able to connect the attack to the cellphone video of it.
Authorities only learned of the case because Conrad Alvin Barrett, 27, showed the video on the night of the attack to an off-duty arson investigator he had met that same night at a restaurant in nearby Folshear. According to the criminal complaint, Barrett asked the off-duty investigator if he knew about the knockout game. He told them he played earlier that day, and then showed them the video, prosecutors allege per USA today.
After hearing this, the investigator flagged down a uniformed officer across the street and led him to Barrett.
While the video does not show Barrett’s face, investigators were able to match his voice to the voice in the video and the couple at the restaurant told investigators that Barrett was wearing the same exact shorts and shoes of the person who shot the video.
According to the prosecutors, the video shows Barrett come up to the unsuspecting victim and ask him, “How’s it going, man?” Then a loud smack is heard, as the victim falls to the floor. Barrett laughs and says, “Knockout.”
The victim suffered the loss of three teeth and needed surgery to repair his jaw which had been broken in two places.
If convicted, Barrett could face up to 10 years in prison and fined up to $250,000 for the hate crime charge.