Philip Seymour Hoffman joins the likes of Cory Monteith, River Phoenix, John Belushi, and Janis Joplin who faced an untimely death due to one potent drug; heroin. Therese are just some of the famous Hollywood names who have had their deaths attached to the drug. All five overdosed and died after taking heroin or a combination of heroin and cocaine.
“That heroin is used in the entertainment industry and that group of individuals is nothing new. We could have been having this conversation 60 years ago, in the 1950s, when heroin use was huge among jazz musicians,” Dr. Jason Jerry, director of the Cleveland Clinic, told ABC News today.
“Entertainers are just probably more in the spotlight than the rest of the population so we hear about it more,” he said.
Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead in his apartment of an obvious heroin overdose, with a hypodermic needle sticking out of his arm and 70 glassine baggies of heroin stored in his apartment. May celebrities were completely shocked by the revelation, that such a great talent could be lost to a drug overdose at the mere age of 46. Many others were surprised that Hoffman, a respected stage and screen performer, had a secret heroin habit that had yet to be unearthed until his untimely death.
Addiction experts note that cocaine has a reputation to business people for its ability to give them energy and focus, and allowing users to escape from reality, a temptation for some in high-stress or highly visible professions, such as acting.
In addition to heroine, police also found a slew of prescription medication, including the blood-pressure drug clonidine hydrochloride; the addiction-treatment drug buprenorphine, Vyvanse, a drug used to treat ADD, hydroxyzine, which is used to treat anxiety, and methocarbamol, a muscle relaxer in the actor’s apartment.
Philip Seymour Hoffman will always be remembered as the incredible actor that he was, long after his death.