Home / AMERICAN NEWS / 2 Arrested in Chicago Hostage Police Standoff

2 Arrested in Chicago Hostage Police Standoff

A nearly 20-hour hostage/barricade situation in a Chicago suburb that began with a home burglary and two officers being shot Wednesday morning ended with a police standoff and about two dozen heavily-armed cops storming into the home to free four remaining hostages and arresting their two captors.

Two individuals were taken into police custody when authorities took down a door and entered the home near West 147th Street and Robey Aenunue in the south suburb of Harvey, reports NBC Chicago. The suspected captors – two men – were found on the first floor of the home. The hostages – a 6-year-old and 12-year-old girl, as well as two female adults – were recovered on the second floor, Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart said.

“There had been a lot of tension,” he said. “Things were changing at different times it just it was the proper time to act. … We tried everything conceivable to get them to understand that we weren’t going away and that this was going to be resolved.”

He said it was unclear whether there was a relationship involved between the hostages and the suspects. Wednesday’s police standoff was completed without a single shot fired and without injuries.

The release of the final hostages came hours after four other children were freed throughout Tuesday evening. One sick child was released around 6:30 pm., another about 30 minutes later and a 1-year-old child was released about 45 minutes after. A fourth child, another 1-year-old, was released around 10:30 pm.

“They haven’t been harmed,” Dart said of the hostages, “but they’re very, very traumatized.”

Harvey town spokesperson Sean Howard said the entire scene started at about 12:48 p.m. Tuesday when a 911 call was placed about a burglary in progress. The first-responding officer saw the burglary under way and responded, Harvey said. Gunfire was exchanged and the officer was shot in the arm during it. A second officer suffered a graze wound and was treated at the scene.

“We thank God that our officer was not injured more seriously than he was, and our major concern right now are the individuals inside the home, that’s what we’re focusing on right now, their safety,” Harvey Police Chief Denard Eaves said.

Hostage negotiators were put in place and talked to the captors through an open window in the home

2 Arrested in Chicago Hostage Police Standoff

About Chelsea Alves