Home / AMERICAN NEWS / California College Student Burned From Inside By Friend’s Antibiotic Meds

California College Student Burned From Inside By Friend’s Antibiotic Meds

Even a couple weeks after being severely harmed by taking one of her friend’s old antibiotics, 19 year old Yassmeen Castanada remains in intensive care. The young college student was feeling ill, and figured that it would be harmless to take a prescription antibiotic that was previously given to one of her friends. What Castanada was not prepared for was that her body was going to have a violent allergic reaction that would leave her hospitalized. The medication caused a rare but potentially deadly chemical reaction in the teen’s body that chemically burned some of her organs inside.

California College Student Burned From Inside By Friend’s Antibiotic Meds

Yasmeen Castanda Burned By Antibiotics

A California teen, Yasmeen Castanada, is left in intensive care after a friend’s antibiotic medication caused her to be burned by an internal reaction. (Image from GoFundMe)

Yassmeen’s eyes, nose, and throat soon broke out with blisters, which spread to other areas of her body. Doctors decided to place her in a medicated state that would render her unconscious. The pain that she would have experienced otherwise might have been unbearable for most people. Her skin began to fall off in certain areas after being sedated, due to the condition caused by the unprescribed medication.

Reactions like this are rare, and can even happen when a doctor prescribes the patient antibiotics as well. Castanada remains in intensive care, as doctors work hard to help her recover. Her life is still in great danger, and she is definitely not in the clear. Her mother has spent a lot of time by her side trying to comfort her and keep her company. The worrisome mother struggles to maintain her composure as she potentially faces some of the last days with her daughter.

Castanada is receiving skin treatments usually given to real burn patients, because her skin is struggling to maintain proper moisture levels. Doctors have her placed on a ventilator while they pump life saving fluids into her body and treat the skin from the outside with medicated treatments.

California College Student Burned From Inside By Friend’s Antibiotic Meds.

About Steven Kenniff

Lives in Phoenix, AZ. Graduated from Arizona State University in 2005. Writes for American Live Wire, GM Roadster and Northstar Media