Home / AMERICAN NEWS / Astronomers Potentially Discover 1st Signs Of Dark Matter

Astronomers Potentially Discover 1st Signs Of Dark Matter

Cambridge, Massachusetts – Researchers at Harvard University, and a separate group in Switzerland and the Netherlands may have found similar evidence that helps prove the existence of dark matter in the universe. The mysterious substance known as dark matter has been theorized to make up part of the mass of the universe to account for some unexplained forces that can’t be accounted for by visible objects. Finding any solid proof of dark matter has taken astronomers and other researchers many decades, but the first clue may have just been discovered.

Astronomers Potentially Discover 1st Signs Of Dark Matter

3D Dark Matter Model

An artist’s rendition of what dark matter would look like in 3D. (Image from Wikipedia)

Scientists have estimated that dark matter may make up as much as 80% of the matter in the universe, leaving only 20% of it to be visible. The fact that dark matter is virtually invisible has made it an elusive substance. Either dark matter exists and we just don’t know how to track it down yet, or much that we have assumed about the universe could be wrong.

These research teams studied x-ray transmission data from known galaxies and clusters to attempt to locate some anomalies. Since dark matter isn’t visible we can’t exactly just look for it directly. The researchers had been looking for object in space that create x-ray anomalies on known objects. The x-rays emitted from these known sources would then by altered in some way by the gravity of the dark matter between us and them.

Because the various research teams across the globe have spotted the same anomaly, it is likely that they have located something of substance that has meaning. Whether they have actually located the first signs of dark matter is still going to take some time to prove, but the hope is there in the community.  If the team can prove beyond any reasonable doubt that they have located dark matter, there may need to be updated equipment produced to track this matter. Current telescopes use methods of detection that are currently understood, such as radio signals, x-rays, and visible light. If we can determine what type of equipment would be best to look at dark matter, then we would experience a giant leap in astronomy.

Given that the observed anomaly was detected by various esteemed groups, and that it fits within the guidelines of it’s calculated behavior, it is very likely that this may be our very first encounter with dark matter. The next question will be, what exactly were they looking at, and what is the dark matter actually made up of?

Astronomers Potentially Discover 1st Signs Of Dark Matter.

About Steven Kenniff

Lives in Phoenix, AZ. Graduated from Arizona State University in 2005. Writes for American Live Wire, GM Roadster and Northstar Media