Police and school officials made public Tuesday that the stage that covered an orchestra pit that collapsed last month at an Indiana high school was designed and constructed by a school employee, and not properly supported.
No criminal charges will be filed in the accident at Westfield High school.
— IndyStar (@indystar) May 19, 2015
During a news conference Tuesday, the Westfield Police Department announced the conclusions of the investigation into the stage collapse that injured more than a dozen students. There were no fatalities in the collapse.
Police and school officials on Tuesday morning said the stage that covered an orchestra pit that collapsed last month was designed and constructed by a school employee, and was not properly supported.
The Westfield Police Department announced the conclusions of the investigation into the stage collapse in a press conference.
The students were exuberantly dancing and singing Don’t Stop Believing, the final act to a year-end show on April 23, when the stage that was covering the orchestra pit collapsed below them, sending dozens plunging into the orchestra pit, USA Today reported.
Video footage captured the dramatic collapse which injured 17 students, though all injuries were minor.
The Hamilton County Prosecutor’s Office ruled that the faulty construction of the sage does not rise to the level of criminal culpability.
Westfield Superintendent Mark Keen said Quinten James, the auditorium director, designed and purchased materials for the faulty stage on his own.
There were no supports under the faulty stage, officials determined, adding that it was essentially laid over the pit.
The original stage that had covered the orchestra pit, which did have supports, had been removed with the supports to build the new stage, officials said at the conference. The originally designed stage will be reinstalled with proper supports.
James, a part-time employee, has not been suspended, but Keen said action may be taken against him at some point in the future.