50 SHADES OF GREY. So let me guess, you have been captivated by the trilogy that has taken the world by storm. You find yourself staying up later than normal, turning each page itching for the next sexual expilict description that turns your world upside down.What is it that has the entire world intrigued with these novels?
Is it because it pales in comparison to our day to day lives of work and relationships, or is it because it pulls at some instinctual desire inside of us that warrants satisfaction? Possibly both? Well as we ponder of the reasoning behind how a novel transformed the way women relate to porn, let’s go over some actual facts.
50 SHADES OF GREY:
- It was the FIRST book to sell more than ONE BILLION copies on the Amazon kindle.
- 16 million copies of the novel have been sold so far in the US. The first book in the series, “Fifty Shades of Grey” became the fastest selling paperback book EVER, beating out J.K. Rowling‘s “Harry Potter” series.
- 5 Million dollars is the amount Universal and Focus Features paid for the film rights.
- 15 Million dollars is the estimated net worth of E.L. James, which she has aquired in less than two years. To put this in perspective, Stephanie Myers, the author of “Twilight” has an estimated worth of 125 million dollars, and has been highly popular with her romance novels since 2005.
- 3 Million copies have been distributed and printed by publisher Vintage in less than a month.
- 2.75 Millon copies have been sold in the UK, and 37 countries have had it interpreted into their own language.
- 205,130 copies of “Fifty Shades of Grey” were sold in the first week. This number broke the previous paperback novel sales record by 141,000.
Pretty phenomenol to say the least. For some reason people are incredibly drawn to the novel. It provokes something within us that is riveting and raw. Regardless whether you have been in a dominant or submissive position before, you feel it and can relate it to it as if it was happening to you personally. Spiking the sex toy sales revenue everywhere, the triology will soon be at your local box office making headway. Hold your breath as the saga continues with 50 Shades of Pale. Happy Reading.
Featured Image courtesy of 50 Shades of Grey Book series.