21-year-old Clayton Otwell, has died after taking a free dose of 25I, a new synthetic hallucinogenic drug.
After a night of drinking vodka-Red Bulls at Voodoo Festival on Saturday, 21-year-old Clayton Otwell, of Little Rock, Arkansas, apparently forgot his rule of never accepting drugs from strangers, according to his friend Mandie Newell.
A man who was apparently grateful to Otwell for helping him find his phone, offered Otwell the synthetic 25-I. All it took was one drop in his nose and within thirty minutes Otwell had entered into a seizure and never regained consciousness. Newell said that Otwell had almost instantly began babbling uncontrollably.
Otwell was taken to a medical tent at the Voodoo Festival, then on to Tulane University Hospital, where he was placed on life support Saturday night; he died Tuesday.
According to a memorial page set up to help with the funeral his family had this to say “Clayton was an amazing son, brother, and friend. His memory will never be forgotten as he will live in our hearts forever. He shined his light on so many people and had such a positive influence on anyone he came into contact with. Lets all help to provide support to his family during this tragic time.”
What is 25I?
25I is a synthetic hallucinogenic with similar effects to LSD. The high usually lasts between 6–10 hours if taken Sublingually or orally. The drug was discovered in 2003 by Ralf Heim, of University of Berlin. Users typically experience a mood lift, state of euphoria, feeling of love and empathy, as well as an increase in creative thinking.
Currently there is no law in the United States that makes 25I illegal.
To donate to Clayton Otwell’s memorial fund head over to gofundme.com. The family would appreciate any donation to help out.
Featured Image of Clayton Otwell from his family at gofundme.com.
21-year-old Clayton Otwell, dies after taking a free dose of 25I, a new synthetic hallucinogenic drug.