When it comes to enjoying a weekend in the backyard nothing can be more annoying than being swarmed by mosquitoes all day around the BBQ or Pool.
Of course some of the common ways to protect yourself from the pesky little mosquitoes is to use, insect repellant or oils. But, the key really comes in preventing your yard from becoming a Mosquito breeding ground to begin with.
To mosquito proof your yard there are several things you must know about what makes your yard a Mosquito breeding ground.
What mosquitoes need to breed?
- Free standing water. Tip over anything holding water (old tires, buckets, planters, tarps,). Mosquitoes don’t need much water to bread.
- Protection provided by bushy plants. Landscape your yard to eliminate safe breeding grounds.
- Mosquitoes are attracted to and love certain lights. They don’t like LED lights!
- Clean up after your pets, and place trash bins as far from the yard as possible.
Do not waste your time on candles, bug zappers, commercial lawn care insecticides, and fans. The number one way to fix the mosquito problem is in preventative maintenance.
Some old wives tales for getting rid of Mosquitoes include:
- Planting Garlic around your house, and eating Garlic.
- Try pouring vinegar down your sink drains. It is believed that vinegar can kill bugs living in those places.
- Invest in Mosquito netting.
- Don’t panic around mosquitoes and you won’t get bitten as often.
- Use yellow Lights, and LED lights.
Remember before you decide to use an old wives tale method be sure to check city code or potential health risks associated with using that method.
How to rid your backyard of pesky mosquitoes and other insects.