Nine year old Jack Ariola Erenberg died several days after swimming in Lily Lake, near his home in Stillwater, Minnesota.
Minnesota health officials closed the lake in Stillwater on Tuesday after a second child died within two years from a brain infection caused by a microorganism found in the water.
According to the Pioneer Press “Two years ago, a 7-year-old Stillwater girl died from it after swimming in the same lake.”
Both died after their brain’s were ravaged by primary amoebic meningoencephalitis, an infection caused by a microscopic amoeba known as Naegleria fowleri.. There have only been a total of 125 known cases in the United States since 1924.
The state known as “The Land of 10,000 lakes” is taking no chances
Jack’s mom told KSTP, “Jack was a little boy who loved the outdoors. He loved swimming and kayaking… he was a boy who just loved being outside.”
Most of the victims of this deadly Amoeba have been young boys.
The CDC is looking into what could be causing these lethal brain infections saying that it enters the body through the nose.
Nine year old boy dies from Lake Parasite in Stillwater Minnesota.