Obama: The Green Energy Nightmare. Sometimes when you peruse the headlines online, you have to wonder what Barack Obama is really thinking. Is he really that obtuse about green energy and it’s impact on America?
The Green Energy Nightmare
Obama recently spoke at a solar power facility about the need for investment in renewable energy. He reiterated his previous claims that this investment would create jobs, promote energy independence, and so forth. (In the article, there is a line that the Obama Administration claims their investments have created or saved 44,000 jobs since 2009).
But, if you look at the rest of the article, you will see that the facility received $40 million for construction for 350 employees. That means the federal government spent $114,285.71 for each job that no longer exists – if you were to focus solely on the construction aspect of the work.
Even more importantly, permanent jobs are how people manage to change their lives and provide for themselves over the long haul. With all of the help from the federal government, this facility has a grand total of TEN PERMANENT EMPLOYEES. So, only ten people have managed to benefit from this $40 million dollar investment – that’s right, I said TEN! Let that sink in for a moment.
The Green Energy Nightmare — Obama is out of touch
Despite the fact that the U.S. is in the middle of rising gasoline price crisis, Obama has continued his “green” energy tour to promote the need to “double-down” on investing in these new sources. Let’s let look at the successes of his energy policies:
CBS News reported that Obama “invested” $6.5 billion dollars in 12 green energy companies now facing financial hardship. The following companies have filed for bankruptcy:
- Solyndra: $535 million in federal money and has filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy
- Beacon Power of Massachusetts: $43 million in federal money, $5 million in state money; Paid $23,000 in bonuses to 65 employees during the bankruptcy process
- Evergreen Solar of Massachusetts: Received $31 million in state aid, Unknown amount of federal money, owes $485.6 million in debt — to hire about 100 people or $310,000 for each potential job in state money. (Obviously, the cost would go up dramatically if we knew how much federal money they got).
- SpectraWatt of New York State: $500,000 in federal money while paying out $745,000 in executive bonuses
- Eastern Energy of New York State (an AES subsidiary): Received a $17.1 million loan while Media Matters runs a story (anyone shocked?) saying that the company that got the loan did not go bankrupt using this link to the DoE as proof. (Oops! Even the DoE is trying to make the loan go away).
- Ener1 of Indiana: $118.5 million in federal money
Even the DoE proudly touts on their website that they have provided $34.9 billion in loans to green energy companies/initiatives that have created (or saved) approximately 61,000 jobs. That works out to an average cost per job of $572,131.14.
However, Obama has clearly stated that he will not walk away from his green energy agenda – despite the catastrophic failures.
Meanwhile, the costs of gasoline, which people need and use to get to the real jobs, has now crept up in the neighborhood of $4/gallon, with Obama’s Energy Secretary proclaiming that they have no intent on addressing the rising costs.
So, as you can see, Obama is the one who is out of touch with Americans as he burns gas traveling to four states to promote a green energy investment plan that has shown to be one failure after another.
Someone needs to wake him up from this green energy nightmare!
Feature image courtesy of gstriatum.com