The top 10 largest cities in the world 2012 based off of metropolitan population.
Most of the World’s most populous Metropolitan area’s are located in Asia. Out of the top 10 largest cities in the world Asia is home to 7 of them. With 4 of the top 5 in Eastern Asia.
The list of the Top 10 largest cities in the World 2012:
10. New York City – United Sates – Population of 19.5m – New York City is the largest city in the United States and second largest in North America. The city was founded by the Dutch in 1624 having been called New Amsterdam upon its original founding.
9. Sao Paolo – Brazil – Population of 19.8m – Sao Paolo is the biggest city in South America, as well as the biggest city in the Southern Hemisphere. The city was originally founded in 1532 as the first Portuguese Colony in the New World.
8. Mexico City – Mexico – Population of 21.2m – Mexico City is the biggest city in North America. The City was originally built by the Aztec’s on a lake known as Tenochtitlan in 1325. The city was destroyed by the Spanish in 1521 then rebuilt in 1524 by the Spanish.
7. Shanghai – China – Population of 20.8m – Shanghai is the biggest city in China. The City was originally established in the year 960 AD. Shanghai is the world’s busiest Container Port.
6. New Delhi – India – Population of 21.7m – New Delhi is located in the Northern part of India, and is the biggest city in India. The City was built and completed in 1931 by the British. New Delhi is just one of nine districts in the Delhi Territory.
The Final 5 of the top 10 largest cities in the world 2012:
5. Manila - Philippines - Population of 21.9m – Manila Metropolitan area is made up of 16 cities and is the most densely populated city in the world. Manila served as a major trading post with China during the Ming Dynasty. The original name of the city was Ginto (Gold).
4. Karachi – Pakistan – Population of 24.1m - Karachi is a surprise for many when they find out just how populated it is. Karachi originally was noticed as a city in 1789 by the British, but was also the same place that Alexander the Great camped out with his fleet when he was preparing for Babylonia.
3. Seoul – South Korea – population of 25.2m – Seoul is home to over half of the South Korean Population. Seoul sit’s on the cite of the Ancient city of Wirye-seong, which was established in 17 BC. Seoul has always been a leading city in Asian Technology.
2. Jakarta – Indonesia – Population of 28.0m – The Area of Jakarta has come in and out of control of many different civilizations ever since 324 AD. Jakarta is one of the fastest growing cities in the world, and the economic center for Indonesia.
1. Tokyo – Japan – Population of 35.1m – Tokyo has largest metropolitan area in the world. Tokyo was originally established as a fishing village called Edo, and in 1457 it was fortified. then In 1943 the City of Tokyo and the Tokyo Prefecture merged creating what is today the most populous city in the world in 2012.