The coroner’s office in Charleston County has confirmed that a Medical University of South Carolina patient died from a flesh eating bacteria.
According to WCSC News, The Charleston County Coroner’s Office has confirmed a Medical University of South Carolina patient died Saturday from flesh-eating bacteria. The 55-year-old victim was identified as Anthony Hills. According to health officials, the bacteria that infected Hills and eventually led to his untimely death began in his right arm and right leg.
Days before Hills was taken to Medical University of South Carolina, he was complaining of pains and inflammation in his right arm while also feeling extremely ill. Hills was then rushed to MUSC on Saturday, where doctors amputated his right arm and were considering amputating his left leg. Unfortunately, doctors were unable to heal Hills in time and he died hours later in the hospital. Chief of infectious disease at MUSC Dr. Michael Kilby said, “It’s a lightning strike kind of thing you know, where it just doesn’t happen that often. But when it does it goes sour really fast and needs medical attention really quickly.”
There have been several cases in South Carolina of flesh eating bacteria. In early May, mother Lana Kuykendall in the Upstate contracted the bacteria after her twins were born and underwent 20 surgical procedures to stop the spread of the bacteria. Another instance occurred in June where an adult male was admitted to Roper St. Francis Hospital after being infected with a flesh eating bacteria.
MUSC has had success in treating the bacteria as earlier this year, doctors saved the life of a 59-year-old Hilton Head man who contracted the rare strain of bacteria.
University of South Carolina Patient Died from a Flesh Eating Bacteria .